Monday, September 17, 2012

Summer Blog Challenge Days 31-37


Day 31: Something Eco-Friendly that I do.

Something that I don't blog about or even really talk about much is the use of reusable menstrual products.  I started using "mama cloth" before Luke was born and haven't gone back.  I do still have the 'sposie stash that I had accumulated and sometimes I need to use them, but I much prefer my minky topped cloth pads.

The initial start-up cost of "mama cloth" can be a set-back for many women because the pads cost anywhere from $4-16 a piece.  Mine are all work-at-home-mom (WAHM) made and I got discounts for buying "lots".  I have about a dozen pads and since I wash cloth diapers every couple of days, I just wash them with the diapers and I have enough to get through a normal cycle for myself.

If my cycle ever goes regular I might invest in a larger "stash" of pads, but since I only have my cycle a couple times a year (thanks Polycystic Ovary Syndrome/PCOS), I don't need a ton of pads.

"Stash Picture" I took when I got the majority of my stash.  

Close up of the "bulk" of my stash...gotta love have minky topped pads!

Day 32: Share a Poem that you've written, or one you like.

I'm no poet, but this one hits home for me every time I read it!

I hope that my child looking back on today 
remembers a mother who had time to play 
for children grow up while you are not looking 
there will be years ahead for cleaning and cooking 

Mother, oh Mother, come shake out your cloth 
empty the dustpan, poison the moth, 
hang out the washing and butter the bread, 
sew on a button and make up a bed. 
Where is the mother whose house is so shocking? 
She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking. 

Oh, I've grown shiftless as Little Boy Blue 
(lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo). 
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due 
(pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo). 
The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew 
and out in the yard there's a hullabaloo 
but I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo. 
Look! Aren't her eyes the most wonderful hue? 
(lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo). 

The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow, 
for children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow. 
So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep. 
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep 
-Author Unknown

Day 33: Travel and plans you have for the summer?

NONE! We didn't have any plans, but we did make a crazy quick trip to Pennsylvania!   We don't have any travel plans for the winter either, but if the opportunity arises to go to Colorado and Oklahoma, you better believe we'd go! :

Day 34: Free day!

That's what we're planning today.... I didn't get much sleep last night & so I'm taking the day off!

Day 35: Talk about a fear that you have.

I am afraid of drowning.  As an experienced swimmer and lifeguard of 9 years, I'm terrified of drowning.  Specifically after driving off of a bridge.  I'm afraid of driving off of a bridge because I'd be faced with the impossible task of unbuckling both of my babies and somehow swimming with the two of them in my arms, long enough to be rescued or get out of the water without freezing to death (because these things always happen in frigid water, right?)

I know its not a rational fear, but with the number of bridges we have around here, it isn't impossible!

Day 36: What's a holiday tradition that you have in your family?

We have an Easter Egg Hunt...every year for Easter, if there is even one child under 18, then we are egg hunting!  We try to get as many members of the family together as possible.  Last year we had over 400 eggs! 

Day 37: Something you would attempt if you KNEW you wouldn't fail.

A lot more sewing projects!  If I knew everything I tried to sew would be functional, I'd make all kinds of things!  A lot of my projects flop and I have to take them apart & try a new technique and that is often more work/time than I have, so I get discouraged.

No comments: