Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Diaper Stash Evolution


So, over time our stash has changed and changed again.  Yesterday I let Vinnie wear undies all day, (he never made it to the potty) so I could get ALL of the diapers clean and inventory what we are using.

Luke is full-time in Pull-Ups right now.  I was buying him cloth trainers but found that he either outgrows them or the PUL doesn't last, so they weren't worth the investment.  They also don't hold resale value like the diapers can.

He has had times where we thought he was *almost there* with potty learning....and full set-backs (like a leg cast!) that have him barely even attempting to use the potty.

Vinnie knows when he is stinky and needs changed and doesn't like the feeling when he wets a diaper, but doesn't seem ready to go on the potty just yet, so we'll be doing diapers for at least a little while longer.

So, I've got the stash broken up this way:

Day-Time Use at home: (stuffed with microfiber car wash towels)
12 BG 3.0s
6 BG 4.0s

Day-Time Use on the go: (stuffed with various hemp inserts)
13 Alva Baby Pockets

Night Time Diapers: (stuffed with Thirsties Duo Sz. 2 Hemp Prefolds)
6 Alva Baby Pockets

Bamboo Fitteds: 
(Vinnie is technically allergic to these, but I use them with a liner on wash day or as back-ups)
2 Soggy Bottom Baby
4 Bagshot Row Bamboo
1 MamaGoetsch Creations Pocket Fitted


We have a total of thirty one day-time diapers and six night time diapers in our regular rotation and I wash every 3-4 days.

I use Ecos laundry detergent, "home-made booster", apple cider vinegar, and dish soap. (I don't buy Dawn so I use whatever we have, normally Palmolive.)  The home-made booster is equal parts of oxyclean free, washing powder, borax, and baking soda.

I start with a cold rinse of all the dirty diapers.  I follow that with a hot wash including 1-2 scoops (from the Oxyclean container) of the home-made booster, Ecos up to the 2 line and a healthy splash of apple cider vinegar (probably 1/2-1 cup).  If there is any odor left in the washer, then I will run another hot cycle with a squirt of dish soap, baking soda, and apple cider vinegar.  I use the "heavy duty" cycle on my machine which includes stain clean, an extra rinse, and an extended soaking time.  After the diapers are clean, I rinse them on a rinse only cycle with cold water.  It doesn't normally take more than 1 cycle to get rid of the vinegar smell and any suds.

I dry all of our diapers in the dryer, since line-drying is not an option for our allergic boy.

No comments: