Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Ear Tube Surgery & A Broken Foot

So, after my last update, both boys were sick with double ear infections.  We also found out Luke had a perforated ear drum.

That week, we went to the ENT and he confirmed that Luke's ear tubes were still in his ears but weren't in place, which was causing the recurrent ear infections.  Dr. Keyes scheduled Luke's ear surgery for July 16, first thing in the morning.

Dr. K also checked out Vinnie's ears and said that he looked like a candidate for tubes as well & that if he were to get one more ear infection he'd qualify, since the insurance requires 4 or more infections in a "season".

Luke's surgery went well, they didn't let me go back with him, but he was okay with Dr. K & the anesthesiologist.  They played Batman and Dr. Doom!

About 9 minutes after he went in Dr. K came out & told me he was done and about 3-4 minutes later a nurse came to get me because he was waking up.

We stopped at Dunkin Donuts on the way home & got a treat for the boy!

Luke had a fever and was slightly dehydrated on the 17th, so we had to go to the ER to get him checked out & make sure he didn't have an infection.

On the 18th, two days post-op, Luke was feeling fine and like his normal self.  He and Aaron were playing a game where Luke "superman jumped" from the arm of the couch & Aaron caught him.  For some reason Aaron decided NOT to catch him and Luke took a hard tumble.

He wouldn't walk for about 2 hours and just sat with ice on his foot until Tim got home and we could go to Patient First (urgent care).

After a LONG wait the doctors there (several) decided it wasn't broken and sent us home with a useless ace bandage.

Over the next couple of days Luke still wouldn't walk normally or bear any weight on the big toe part of his foot.

On Monday, the 22nd I called and got him an appointment to the CHKD orthopedic doctors.  They saw him on the 24th and just based on the x-rays Patient First sent over, determined that he had in fact broken his foot.

So, Luke got his first cast.  They couldn't do red/black stripes so he opted for a blue cast instead.

That evening I sewed up some "socks" to cover and protect his cast from getting grimy.  So far they are doing their job, since he's had it on almost 2 weeks and it doesn't have a foul odor & isn't black with filth.

No comments: