Monday, March 7, 2011

IV Therapy--Pros & Cons

So, Friday night I had my dose of IV Zofran and went to bed.

Saturday morning, Aaron arrived bright & early and Luke woke up not much later.

Tim and I managed to stay in bed a bit, while the boys watched t.v. together, which was nice.

I decided to attempt getting a shower, since the nurse had said it would be alright as long as I wrapped my IV site up really well.  So, I taped and saran wrapped and taped and saran wrapped some more.  I thought it was pretty good.

I was wrong.

When I got out of the shower, there was blood backing up in my IV line.  I called Tim to bring me my supplies & to help me.  As I unwrapped my saran wrap and tape, I found a not so pleasant surprise.  My IV had gotten SOAKED.  And, was now, no longer in my arm!  GAH!   It was super gross & I was pretty good, at first.  I called the nurse, informed her of what happened, and sent Tim out to take care of the boys while I got dressed.  Then I got faint.  I dove onto the bed to ward of a fainting spell and tried to relax.  It wasn't even bleeding!

When I was finally able to get dressed I got all the tape off of my arm and immediately got hives all around where the IV was.  Fun.  I had to take Aaron to baseball practice, so we quickly did that.  Then, Luke and I went to the pharmacy to pick up my "happy pills".  When we got home from there, we hung out at home and didn't really do much.

Frankie came over with Carolynn to drop off a headboard and footboard.  I also gave him a buzz cut.  A little shorter than either of us were expecting, but, oh well, I don't normally DO buzz cuts.  (Tim's cut has a little bit of shape to it.)

AND, then the nurse showed up to put in my new IV.

AND, Betti showed up to pick Aaron up early.

While the nurse was getting my IV going, everyone cleared out.  The first vein "blew" (and is now big-time sore & bruised) and so she had to place the IV in the back of my hand. :(

I'm pretty sure I took a nap with Luke after that.

Luke and I headed out in the afternoon to go grocery shopping for church.  We had to pick up communion stuff and also stuff for the "buffet" so a trip to Sams Club was in order.  We got all the stuff we needed, after a quickie trip to Wal-Mart as well and then headed home.

I wasn't feeling like eating anything, so 1/2 a "French Bread" pizza was my dinner.  Then I went back to bed.

Sunday morning we had to get up early to go to church.  We had to get Luke & Tim showered & dressed, and me just dressed (I can't get my IV wet--so no showers for 3 days!)  (I'm sponge bathing---I don't stink! Promise!)  and everything packed and loaded up!

It was a busy morning, but we made it out of the house with time to spare to go to Lowe's to buy MORE stuff for church, and still get there "early".

Church went well, I ate well which was good.  After church we stopped by the bank and then headed to Oysterette's in Chesapeake, for lunch with James & Missy.

That was nice & the food was great!  I ate a lot of the crab dip all by myself & then I ate my crab cake & 1/2 of Tim's as well.

We had to head home straight away from there, to meet the medicine delivery guy to get more saline & another 4 doses of Zofran for my IV.  Luke and I came in the house & went straight to bed.  Tim ended up accepting the delivery, so we took a nap.

Luke woke up before I was ready to get up, and I could just barely move.  I'm getting headaches in the afternoon along with severe exhaustion & I think both are side effects of the IV Zofran.

I ended up being a use-less lump most of the evening, until Tim stopped working in the kitchen and we decided to go to I-HOP for dinner.

I had 1/2 of a 5 pancake stack & 4 slices of bacon & a ton of water.  Tim ate most of his omelette and Luke picked at some fruit & chicken.  We made a quick stop by Wal-Mart for dog food after dinner and then headed home.

I put Luke to bed and went to sleep myself.

Today, I got up early with Luke (like 6:30) and got pretty much right to work on housework.  It took me several hours but I managed to get the house picked up & vacuumed so it wasn't so messy.  I had to take lots of breaks.  After I got Luke down for his nap I ate a huge lunch.  I had a parfait yogurt, then a sandwich bag of Pringles, and then I followed that with an apple dipped in peanut butter.  (lots & lots of peanut butter)  I also drank about 1/2 of my 20 oz of Gatorade.  (the 2nd one of the day)

Luke had therapy & wouldn't eat hardly anything. :(  It wasn't a great visit, but oh well, what can you do.   He did eat his whole jar of baby food w/ DuoCal mixed in, so that's good.

Now, I'm going to work on laundry for the rest of the day & hope to take a nap tonight.

No comments: