Thursday, August 17, 2023

Baby Shower Gift Sewing!





    I haven't been around many babies since Covid took over the world.  I did get to snuggle a little baby not too long ago and I've of course got my baby, Percy, but I haven't been to a baby shower or any other
get-together's like that since March 2020.  

All that is about to change!  Our Sensei at the dojo, is having her first biological baby and it's a girl!  Of course I knew off the bat I wanted to make something adorable for her but wasn't sure what.  After checking out her registry and chatting with her I had my inspiration!  She registered for BOYS clothes.  A little back-story, she has two sons from her husband's first relationship and they are awesome.  I asked her about the boy clothes on her registry and she said it was because they were dinosaurs and everybody loves dinosaurs! (so true!). 

Of course, I knew that girly Dino things were out there...so with her blessing that was my theme!  

I found an adorable pink and purple dinosaur baby dress and cardigan on Amazon. Bonus-there was also a matching set of headbands and socks!  I also ordered a purple dinosaur baby crinkle toy from Amazon.  Then I headed to the fabric store.  Jo-Ann had flannel fabric that coordinated with the dress perfectly!  I bought some of that and then began looking for inspiration on what to make!



JoAnn also had this pink Dino fleece so the boy and Tim worked together to make a tie blanket!

I searched online and found this bib tutorial.  Flannel bibs are so soft and perfect for cleaning up baby dribble.  So, I made a couple of those from the flannels I had bought.  I changed the bottom shape a little on each of them, but I think they will be great for the baby.  



I also found this amazing dinosaur stuffed animal pattern for free.  I printed it out and made one.  I did ribbon loops instead of the spikes on the back and may not have read the entire pattern instructions before jumping into the project.  So, my feet are done a little differently than the pattern.  I also had a bit of a hard time with the neck and a then of course there were a few spots I didn't double check well and missed all the fabric layers, so it required quite a bit of hand sewing to finish it up.  It was cute, but I was bummed that it wasn't perfect.  

So, the next day, I went online to figure out how to enlarge the already printed pattern and found a tutorial that helped a ton!  With my new, 70% larger pattern I sat down and made a second dinosaur!  I even added ribbon loops on the head of this one!  I'm so pleased with how the second one came together!  





I can't wait to give them to Sensei and I hope that their entire family enjoys spoiling their baby girl with sweet girly dinosaur stuff!  

No comments: